My first post on the LBOI blog a year ago, today was about Museo. A year later, my last post on the LBOI Blog was about a tap dancing banana called Coosh. What a year it has been! Exhilarating, busy, inspiring, enlightening and all kinds of whimsy.
For those who have not yet heard the story, this is how it all happened. "I was freelancing. I took a break. 5 years passed. I started a company with Nick. I started thinking, learning, exploring. The blog happened to channel all the creative energy. And here we are …"
Instead of innundating you with screenshots of my blog’s traffic and statistics, I thought why not talk about something more personal and light-hearted. After all the blog is very personal to me and I want to give you a little glimpse of my life and workplace, behind the scenes at LBOI. Stay with me as I ramble on about how happy I am to have stuck it out for a year and what an amazing ride it has been and what awesome people I have met along the way .
I am Sneh, as you all know from staring at my mug in the author box after each post I make. For as long as I can remember, people have butchered my name to smithereens, so I decided to stick it everywhere on the blog. Hard to miss it now, isn’t it? So, I am Sneh [pronounced S-nay-h] and not Snake, as I told the coffee girl who happily spelt it that way a few weeks ago. LBOI, short for Little Box Of Ideas came into existence in late 2005. Nick, my best friend of 15 years and husband of 9 came on board the company with me. We have two adorable sons aged 6 and 2.
Since its conception stage in 2005, LBOI and the brand it represents has gone through a number of changes, until 2009 when we finally set our identity and branding in stone. We wanted the LBOI logo to be bold and big, we also wanted it to be fun and meaningful. The typeface of the logo is custom, made up entirely of shapes. The "Owl" represents the fun aspect of our business, an inside joke. The two colors represent our two personalities and our favorite colors. Nick is blue and I am red. He is more rational, I am more passionate. He is cool and I am fiery. Hence the head of the owl is blue and the heart is red. The Little Box is essentially my baby, so the logo had to have a little box in red to seal the deal. We love our strong identity and have been fortunate enough to land some great corporate and small business branding and website projects with some wonderful clients.
I am fiddly about layouts and designs and even the arrangement of furniture in my home. I need to change it constantly, evolve it. 4 designs later, I think LBOI’s design is here to stay for a year at least. The one you are seeing right now is the 4th version and it still needs a few minor tweaks.
Things about LBOI you didn’t know!
1. One of the first business plans when we were about to register the company as LBOI, was custom built pirate-style treasure chests/toy boxes.
2. Every time I see the word "boil", my mind goes "lboi".
3. I almost registered the domain lboi.com for $4000 but didn’t have the money to spare.
4. LBOI has 3 new domains in the works, lboistudio.com; lboinetwork.com and lboi.mobi
5. LBOI’s first payment was on March 21, 2009 for a logo sold on Brandstack.
6. LBOI was accepted into an ad network [Buysellads.com] on August 18, 2009 and the first ad we sold through it was a week later.
7. LBOI is a big wooden table housing a PC and a Mac in the corner of a massive room overlooking a big backyard and the beautiful bush in Sydney, Australia.
8. The LBOI Blog sits on a dedicated server leased via The Planet running 2 processors on 4GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive.
9. The LBOI Blog started out on the WordPress server, but 3 posts later it was self-hosted on the WordPress platform.
10. This post that you are reading is the 240th post.
11. The first person to leave any comment on a blog post was Wilhelm Rahn from Venezuela. There have been over 2100 approved comments to date.
12. Till date I have conducted 22 interviews via LBOI.
13. LBOI has 406 fans on Facebook as I write this. Are you a fan yet?
14. LBOI has gone from 100 page views a month [mostly from me] to approximately 137,000 page views a month in one year. [Yep, I went ahead and logged into Analytics]
15. LBOI finally has 1500 RSS Subscribers. Are you a subscriber?
16. LBOI’s business cards still have the old logo and coloring. How many cards do we hand out in a month? 1 Maybe.
17. LBOI’s font of choice is Georgia.
18. LBOI’s favorite kind of posts are the ones through which I release lots of design freebies.
19. Most of LBOI’s visitors are aged between 18-24, which makes them considerably younger than me.
It is interesting what turns up when you google littleboxofideas.com
1. Google returns 3,840,000 search results.
4. Bloggers mention LBOI once every 32 hours … Really??
LBOI has been my salvation this past year. It has been liberating to write, create and design for LBOI. It is my stage for all things creative that had no outlet before LBOI was born. I have learnt so much and grown as a designer. That in retrospect has helped me become a better person. The 3 most important things I have learnt through blogging are being responsible for your words, the amazing power of networking and self-discipline. In the past year, I have made acquaintances with great people through my blog and through Twitter which has been very vital in my blog’s development.
To all those I chat with on Twitter, who vote for my posts, who leave comments, who put up with my wacky Project 365, who have something nice to say through email, who just read what I have to share, who watch my work, follow my design journey, my friends, my family and above all Nick, … my life is more enriched by your interactions and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Some of my amazing design/blogging friends have offered to write short tutorials and articles, some are kindly donating some freebies for LBOI’s birthday month. I am working on lots of fun freebies and resources too, to be given away this month. If you are interested in chipping in, please email me at sneh[dot]roy[at]littleboxofideas[dot]com. I’ll be most obliged. Thanks!
Subscribe Via Rss
Never miss a freebie or some creative inspiration!